The Fourth of July is always a great time to reflect on the greatness of this country in which we live. The freedom we enjoy here is like no place else in the world, and we have our forefathers to thank for it.
Many of us know about the signing of the Declaration of Independence on July 4th, 1776, but here are some interesting facts about that day that you may not have heard before:
- Most of the signers of the Declaration of Independence didn’t actually sign the document on July 4th, but about a month later, on August 2nd, 1776. Only John Hancock, the President of the Congress, and Charles Thompson, the Secretary, signed on the 4th of July.
- Three U.S. Presidents, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, and James Monroe all died on July 4th, and Calvin Coolidge was born on July 4th.
- Congress declared Independence Day an official holiday in 1870, but it didn’t become a paid federal holiday until 1938.
- Every Fourth of July, the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia is tapped 13 times, in honor of the original 13 colonies.
- Fireworks have been a part of the Fourth of July since 1777, when the people of Philadelphia celebrated with a parade, a thirteen-shot cannon salute, and yes, fireworks.
- According to the American Pyrotechnics Associate, there are more than 14,000 professional fireworks displays every year on Independence Day.
As much as this country is notable for its freedom, which we celebrate on Independence Day, it is also known for its “American Spirit.” This concept can be difficult to define, but definitely includes things like ingenuity and resilience. These celebrated characteristics in our country have led to some of the greatest inventions and innovations the world has ever seen. We see this to a degree in our own line of work in the replacement window industry—new technologies are constantly being invented that make windows and doors even more energy efficient or we see new replacement window companies that pop up with new and improved ways of doing things. We love to see those in our industry who are always striving for excellence through new innovations.
We also love our line of work because we get a glimpse of the diversity of people in this country, and particularly in the San Diego area. We meet new and interesting people every day when we talk with them about replacing the windows in their homes. It is truly one of the best parts of what we do here at BM Windows! We’d love to meet you, and talk with you about replacement windows and doors for your San Diego home, if that’s something you’re interested in. Contact us to set up an appointment.
From all of us here at BM Windows, we hope you enjoy your Independence Day, however you choose to celebrate!